Fall means apple cider donuts and this recipe yields the classic flavor of baked cider donuts white being gluten free, vegan and top allergen free. These donuts are made with our Vanilla Cake Mix and with an apple cider reduction to intensity its flavor.
These are cakey and delicious and served warm and dipped in cinnamon sugar this fall treat will become your new favorite too.
How to Make Apple Cider Donuts
The first step is to gather all your tools and ingredients. You will need:
- Mixing Bowls
- Small Saucepan
- Mixing Spoons
- Measuring Cups / Spoons
- Donut Pan(s)
- Piping Bag or Ziplock Bag (optional)
Cake Ingredients Needed:
- 1 x Kate’s Safe and Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar (or Vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons of Neutral Oil (eg. Canola)
- 1 1/2 cups Apple Cider (will be reduced to 3/4 cup)
Topping Ingredients Needed:
- 6 tbsp of Butter of choice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Sugar
1. In a small saucepan, bring cider to a rapid boil; cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 15-20 minutes. You want to be left with 3/4 cup of apple cider. Cool completely.
2. After the apple cider is cooled then you can begin the process of making the donuts.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray donut pan with non-stick oil and set aside.
4. Into a small bowl measure place the apple cider reduction and measure the oil and vinegar into this. Stir together.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vanilla cake mix, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir together. Into this bowl pour the reduced apple cider and mix until full incorporated. The batter will be thick.
6. Using a piping bag or ziplock place batter inside. Snip a small end of the bag and pour evenly into donut pan.
7. Bake on middle rack for 10-12 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove the baking pan(s) from the oven and place a wire cooling rack.
9. While the donuts are cooling prepare the topping.
Tip: You want to bake until the donuts and donut holes are cooked through, set, and springy to the touch. Let the donuts cool slightly while you make the topping.
Tip: If you need to reuse the baking pan, cool donuts for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Re-grease the pan and bake the remaining donut batter.
1. Melt butter on stove over medium heat. Once heated pour into a small bowl.
2. Mix cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Dip each donut into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
These are super fun to make into mini-sized donuts too and can also be made into muffins too!
Can you substitute apple juice for apple cider?
You can substitute apple juice for apple cider if you’re in a pinch. Just make sure it’s unsweetened apple juice, or the recipe may be overly sweet.
How do you keep apple cider doughnuts fresh?
Apple cider doughnuts are best eaten right away. If you want to keep them fresh for 2 to 3 days, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds.
Can I make these donuts ahead of time?
Yes, you can freeze the donuts coated or not coated in the toppings, for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and warm up to your liking in the microwave or on low in the oven.