Homemade French style crepe pancakes! These thin and delicate pancakes are so easy to make and only require 3 ingredients.
Have you ever had crepes before? Though they look intimidating, I pinky promise they are as easy as can be to make them and SO delicious!
Crepes are a thin and delicate style French pancake traditionally made with milk and eggs. They are normally a breakfast or brunch food, but these are welcome any time of the day as sweet or savory snacks, or even dinner!
My favorite part about crepes is the filling. You can fold them, roll them, or even stack them on top of each other like a mini crepe lasagna! Kids will love filling their own crepe and rolling them up. The possibilities are endless!
Tips for the Best Crepes!
This batter will be very thin! It should have the consistency of heavy cream.
Letting the batter rest removes the air bubbles which can cause your crepes to not cook properly.
Pour a little less than a 1/4 cup of batter into your pan for each crepe. Start pouring slowing in the center and work your way outward in a spiral.
You can use a neutral flavored oil in place of butter in the pan as well. Just make sure to always wipe the pan clean before starting a new crepe.
The first step is to gather all your ingredients and tools needed to make these.
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring cups
- Crepe pan OR large flat bottomed pan
- 1 cup of Kate’s Safe and Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup Milk of Choice (these taste great with rice or oat milk!)
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Butter of choice for frying in pan
Toppings of choice. Some ideas include: safe whipped cream, safe chocolate nut/seed butter, lemon curd with blueberries, seasonal fruits with whipped cream, caramel sauce, white chicken with veggies, pesto and sauteed veggies, ricotta cheese or seasoned tofu with chives
Makes nine 8-inch crepes. Recipe can easily be halved or doubled depending on your needs.
- In a large bowl, mix together your milk of choice with apple cider vinegar. Let rest for one minute then add the vanilla cake mix. Stir to combine until no lumps remain. Cover and let rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- In a large flat bottomed skillet on the stove, or a special crepe pan, turn the flame to medium and melt one teaspoon of your safe butter. Make sure to cover a large surface so the crepe won’t stick!
- Using your ladle, scoop out an amount to cover the bottom of the pan in a very thin layer. Tilt/twirl the pan as needed so the batter stretches as far as it will go. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Bubbles will form and pop in the center, just like pancakes! You know it will be ready to flip when it releases from the skillet when the skillet is shaken.
- Flip and let cook another minute. Transfer the crepe to a large plate.
- Using a towel, wipe out any remaining butter from the pan, starting with a clean pan each time.
- Repeat until all batter is gone. If desired, place a piece of parchment paper in between each crepe so they don’t stick.
- Fill crepes with desired fillings and enjoy!
Crepes are best eaten warm and fresh from the pan. Any leftover crepes can be kept in an airtight container for three days. Crepes can be frozen, using a sheet of parchment between each crepe and kept in an airtight container in the freezer. Let thaw in the fridge and warm before filling and enjoying from frozen.