When two lonely brown-spotted bananas stared at me recently I decided I’d make some muffins (and donuts) with them using our vanilla cake mix. The donut recipe can be found here and is also topped with a delicious vanilla glaze!
Top 14 allergen free, gluten free and vegan. And of course require no eggs to bake!
These are a perfect mid-day snack and also a nice after meal treat too.
The first step to making these muffins is to gather all your ingredients and supplies.
Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes 30-36 mini muffins
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of your safe Milk
- ~2 overripe medium-sized bananas
- 1 tablespoon of your safe Oil
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (omit or add more if you’d like!)
(above amounts are what is need to make a full batch of both. If you are making a smaller batch adjust ingredient measurements as needed. tips below are included for how to do this.)
You may also use Chocolate Cake Mix for these as well!
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Muffin Pan
Cake Mix Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the muffin pan with the non-stick cooking spray or line with mini muffin liners. Set aside.
- Stir together vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- Mash bananas and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the cake mix, mashed bananas, oil, and vinegar and milk mixture together until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake on middle rack as directed below until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. These are quick to bake so will take about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack. Allow muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing directly on wire rack.
My daughter loved to lend a hand in making these:
One tip for scooping out batter is to use an ice cream scoop.
Fresh out of the oven!
You’ll want to allow the muffins to cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. You could certainly top these with frosting if you want to as well.
These would also be a great breakfast muffin too!
My daughter was kind of surprised at home tasty these were and that we used a “cake mix” for these. Our mixes are super versatile and we can’t wait to share more of what they can do with you!
Muffins are best served within 3 days. Both of my kids enjoyed these muffins for a few days. I recommend storing in the fridge to extend the shelf life. Don’t forget to check out our entire selection of recipes here.