Throughout the past couple of weeks we were discussing what kind of cake to bake for Christmas. We had a few choices including Salted Caramel, Peppermint, and this Gingerbread Cake. After we voted we decided this was the one and I’m so glad we made it!
We all making a lot of gingerbread goodies this week including gingerbread cookies which we made to surround the outside of the cake and for the top.
The first step to making this cake is to gather all your ingredients and supplies.
Cake Tools Needed:
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Baking Pan(s)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Parchment paper
We made our cake with two 6″ baking pans. You can use the size of your choice or use muffin tins.
Cake Ingredients Needed:
- 1 x Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used rice milk)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons neutral oil (we used canola)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Cake Mix Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of the cake pan(s) with parchment paper and lightly spray the pan sides with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl, blend the cake mix, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cloves.
- Add milk and apple cider vinegar to the mix and spice bowl. Add in molasses and oil.
- Stir together all ingredients well being sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl during mixing.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake on middle rack as directed below until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean.
- 6″ pans = 23-25 minutes
- cupcakes = 18-22 minutes
- Remove the baking pan(s) from the oven and place a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling prepare the frosting below.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients Needed:
- 1 cup of Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Frosting Mix
- 8 oz. of your safe cream cheese (dairy free or regular – whatever works for you and your family)
- 4 tablespoons of your safe butter
- In a large mixing bowl with hand mixers or a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the contents of the frosting packet.
- Whip on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
To make the layered cake:
Place the first layer on a cake stand or flat plate. Frost this first layer in an even coating. Add your next layer of cake and repeat frosting until the cake is covered. Frost the sides of the cake. Optional top with a light colored sanding sugar. Line outsides with gingerbread men and top with cookies of your choice.
My kids and I were so excited to dive into this cake on Christmas!
Moist, delicious and all the holiday feels. We enjoyed this very much.
This recipe can also be made as cupcakes as well. Don’t forget to make these cute gingerbread cookies for the cake too!
Happy Holidays! Be sure to check out the rest of our recipes here.