The first step to making these is to gather all your ingredients and supplies. We used a jumbo muffin pan (a batch of 6 muffins.) You can also use a regular sized muffin tin to make these as well.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredients Needed:
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup rice milk or milk of choice (plain oat milk was used for the cake in this recipe)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 Cup of (Your Choice of Safe) Chocolate Chips or Chocolate Chunks
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place your oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set the pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk of choice with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Add the chocolate cake mix into a medium bowl and milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, and oil. Stir well making sure everything is well incorporated. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to get all the ingredients mixed.
- Fold in chocolate chips / chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins or cake pan (s).
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-21 minutes. If using a larger muffin tin the bake time will increase by up to 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow pan to cool on wire rack.
Let the muffins cool slightly before removing from the tin. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store cooled muffins in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days.
You can also freeze the muffins. Place cooled muffins in a freezer container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to two months. Defrost before enjoying. You can reheat the muffins in the microwave if you want the chocolate to get a little melty!