Cinnamon sugar cookies are a fun additional to your holiday cookie tray or just for everyday! These are a simple drop cookie that is easy to make using our Vanilla Cake Mix as the base (yup, our cake mixes can be used to make cookies!).
We have a few more recipes for sugar cookies as follows:
This recipe is top 14 allergen free, gluten free and vegan.
Using our vanilla cake mix for these makes it a little faster to prepare the dough and you won’t need to chill this, but can if you’d like.
The first step to making these is to gather all your ingredients and supplies.
Cinnamon Sugar Sugar Cookies
Makes 24-30 cookies
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Hand or stand mixer
- Cookie tray(s)
- Parchment paper
- 1 Kate’s Safe and Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tarter
- 1/3 cup your Safe Butter
- 1/3 cup Shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons your safe milk
- Up to 4 additional tablespoons your safe milk
*We have been asked if you can use only your safe vegan butter for these. If you do use full vegan butter for these they will spread a little more. If you don’t need to be dairy free you can use all regular butter as a replacement for the vegan butter and shortening.
Topping Ingredients Needed:
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
you can add more cinnamon if you’d like – it is up to how much want to use!
(above ingredients are for making a full bag of mix, making approx 24-30 cookies)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Line your cookie tray(s) with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix the baking powder and 2 tablespoons of milk and together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or your stand mixer, beat the butter and shortening for about 2-3 minutes until it’s creamed together.
- Add cake mix, tapioca flour, cream of tarter, water and baking powder mixture and 2 tablespoons safe milk to bowl.
- Continue to beat about 4-5 minutes and until it starts to form a ball. Add up to 2 additional tablespoons of your milk. (I used a total of 3 tablespoons). (Note: It may look crumbly when you start. Just keep beating. It will get there.)
- Using damp hands, roll dough into 2″ balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar to coat the outside.
- Place 2″ apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until see the edges lightly brown.
- Remove baking trays from the oven and allow to cool on tray for 10 minutes or so. Then cool on wire rack.
Note: dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days prior to baking.
A simple cinnamon sugar that would also be great with a glaze spread on top too!
Tip: Since this recipe makes about 2 dozen or more cookies you will probably need 2-3 cookie trays. You can use one of course it will just take longer and you’ll want to allow the tray to cool prior to reusing.
These are best served within 7 days when stored on the countertop. You can store up to a couple of weeks in the fridge and up to 6 months when stored in the freezer.
Making these classic sugar cookies with our Vanilla Cake Mix was so easy to do and these are so good and one can tell these are not made with gluten, wheat, eggs, or dairy!
We hope you enjoy this classic sugar cookie recipe adjusted and using our cake mix so that all can eat cookies!
Check out our entire selection of recipes here.