Last Easter we made this fun and delicious cake for the day 🍋 Of course you don’t need to make this into a bunny shape. This lemon cake recipe can be used for any cake!
This recipe is top 14 allergen free, vegan, and gluten free.
Our family loves anything lemon and making anything lemon is fun as we have a lemon tree in our backyard! Fresh lemons are easy to come by around here and we plan on baking up some lemon treats again this Easter.
In addition to our mixes and ingredients needed for those you’ll also need some lemons of course! You can use lemon concentrate or freshly squeezed lemon- it’s up to you. We have both options listed below. Oh and you’ll also need some finely grated lemon rind 🍋 These are so moist and tasty!
The batter is fairly quick and easy to put together. The first step to make these is to gather all your tools and ingredients.
Lemon Easter Bunny Cake
- Mixing Bowl(s)
- Mixing Spoon(s)
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Piping Bags and Piping Tips
- Bunny-Shaped Pan or Pan of your choice
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
You can also make any shaped cake with this recipe.
Lemon Cake Ingredients Needed:
- 1 x Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon concentrate or 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon
- Up to 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the sides and bottom of your pan and set aside. You can use a bunny shaped pan or a regular pan it’s up to you!
- Stir together the milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl, blend the cake mix, oil, vinegar and milk mixture, and lemon concentrate/freshly squeezed lemon together until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in up to two tablespoons of finely grated lemon rind.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Your time may vary depending on the choice of pan. be sure to start checking it around 20 minutes in the oven.
- Remove the baking pan(s) from the oven and place a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling prepare the frosting as per below.
Lemon Frosting Ingredients Needed:
- 1 x Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Frosting Mix
- 3/4 cup butter / shortening – combo of your choice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon concentrate or 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, or as necessary for consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon of finely grated lemon rind (optional)
Lemon Frosting Instructions:
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter / shortening until smooth.
- Add vanilla frosting mix to bowl and lemon concentrate / freshly squeezed lemon. Beat on medium speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Add in additional lemon juice if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in finely grated lemon rind if you’d like.
Tip: Do NOT use lemon oil and lemon extract interchangeably because they’re not the same; oil is much more potent and intense.
Optional Decorating Tools & Ingredients Needed:
- Chocolate Chips – used on ours to make the bunnies whiskers, mouth and eyeballs
- Chocolate Writing Pen
- Pink Food color (or color of your choice) – used to fill in our bunnies ears, nose and eyes
How-to Decorate Your Bunny:
- After the cake is baked and cooled, and your frosting is made you can decide to color a portion of it for the ears, nose and eyes. We used pink for ours.
- Taking the piping bag and an open star piping tip, fill the bag with the vanilla frosting.
- Pipe the face and outer ears of the bunny pressing down and releasing prior to pulling the piping bag up.
- Continue all around as you’d like.
- Using your other colored frosting you will use the same piping tip and fill in the bunnies ears, nose and eyes.
- Taking your chocolate, you will want to melt it in a double boiler or microwave and once melted add into your chocolate writing tool.
- Draw his whiskers, mouth and eyeballs.
- Finally sprinkle with your desired sprinkles. We added them to his ears, nose and eyes.
Now your bunny is complete!
We had a great time baking this lemon bunny cake last Easter🐰 My kids were super excited to make this cake by themselves including all of the piping! Take a look at our after and in progress photos 🐰
Happy Easter 🐰