We recently made pumpkin spice frosting using our vanilla frosting mix as the base and they were so good. We decided to take the frosting and place atop our vanilla cake mix as well and make mini pumpkin shaped cakes. These would be great if you’re having a Halloween dessert or for Thanksgiving or just anytime during the Fall!
Our pumpkin spice frosting is made using our vanilla frosting mix and just a few additional ingredients. It is simple and out of this world that is perfect for this season. These pumpkin shaped cakes are made using our vanilla cake mix as you normally would just in a sheet pan. You can chose what size you’d like to bake these in, just will need to adjust the baking time.
The first step to making these cakes and the pumpkin spice frosting is to gather all your ingredients and supplies.
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup your safe Milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons your safe Oil
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Frosting Mix
- Butter/ Shortening of your choice
- 2-4 tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 3-4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3-4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
(above amounts are what is need to make a full batch of both. If you are making a smaller batch adjust ingredient measurements as needed.)
You may also use Chocolate Cake Mix for these as well!
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
Cake Mix Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the sides and bottom of your cake pan with the non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the cake mix, oil, and vinegar and milk mixture together until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on middle rack as directed below until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For a sheet pan you’ll want to bake from 15-18 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack. Allow cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing directly on wire rack.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Combine butter/ shortening in a large bowl and beat until well combined.
- Add about half of the frosting mix and mix until well combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
- Add spices and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining frosting mix and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add additional pumpkin puree and mix until desired consistency is reached – it can be easy to add too much here, so go slow and add a little at time.
Using a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter (or any shape you’d like to use) cut the cake into shapes. After the cake is cut into your desired shapes use a piping tip and bag and to pipe on the pumpkin spice frosting. Add sprinkles if you’d like!
This frosting is also delicious on a vanilla or chocolate cake, on cookies, or just eating by the spoonful! This frosting has all the pumpkin pie spices that we love this time of the year and make it perfectly festive for just about everything!
We hope that you give this delicious pumpkin spice frosting and cake bites a try – it is easy to make and super tasty. These would be great to make for your Halloween treat this year!