We are loving peppermint brownies around here – super festive for the season and easy to make. These can be made both with and without frosting – and if you want to do vanilla or chocolate frosting vs. peppermint that will work well too! Also, if you’d like to make these without frosting then check out the recipe for those here.
You’ll need our double chocolate brownie mix to make these. It is top 14 allergen free, gluten free and vegan and requires just oil and water to bake and is delicious, moist and full of fudgey flavor.
The first step to making these is to gather all your ingredients and supplies.
Peppermint Frosted Brownies
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- Baking Pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Parchment paper
Brownie Mix Ingredients Needed:
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Double Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 1/3 cup of your Safe Oil
- 2/3 cup of water
- 4 crushed candy canes cup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
(above amounts are what is need to make a full batch. If you are making a half batch adjust ingredient measurements as needed per packaging.)
Brownie Mix Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray the side of the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend the brownie mix, water, oil, and pure peppermint extract together until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Note: batter will be thick.
- Bake as directed below and until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow pan to cool on wire rack for at least 2 hours.
BAKING TIMES for a full batch:
9” x 9” pan 29-32 minutes
11” x 7” pan 27-30 minutes
After the brownies have cooled prepare the frosting as per below.
Peppermint Frosting Ingredients Needed:
- Kate’s Safe & Sweet Vanilla Frosting Mix
- 3/4 cup of Butter/ Shortening of your choice
- up to 4 teaspoons of Rice milk (or safe milk of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure peppermint extract (more if you like it stronger in peppermint flavor)
- Mixing bowl(s)
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring cup
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Combine butter/ shortening in a large bowl and beat until well combined.
- Add about half of the frosting mix and mix until well combined.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the rice milk and continue to mix.
- Add peppermint extract and the remaining frosting mix and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add more peppermint extract if you’d like it to have a stronger peppermint flavor.
You can frost the brownies in a tray or cut and then frost. We found it easier to cut them into bars and then frost them. Make sure you allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting and removing from pan.
Top with chopped candy canes – add as many or as little as you’d like!
You may also use Chocolate Frosting Mix if you’d like instead of Vanilla and make a chocolate peppermint frosting for atop!
These are best served within 3-5 days. I recommend storing in the fridge to extend the shelf life. You can also freeze these and defrost 30 minutes before you’d like to eat them (that is if you can wait that long!)
Don’t forget to check out our entire selection of recipes here.